EndNote comes in two versions, (a) the possibly-free desktop/laptop version or (b) the definitely-free, albeit more limited, online version called EndNote Basic.
EndNote Basic (Online Version)
- Create a free library cloud account on http://myendnoteweb.com and access your "library" of saved references anytime and anywhere via an Internet browser or iOS app.
- Consider creating a free online account first. Then decide whether to install the client version. Here are some reasons you might decide to upgrade: http://endnote.com/product-details/basic. Your online account will then become your cloud storage for your client version. You'll also want to keep your online account because it facilitates library sharing between users.
EndNote Desktop/Laptop Version
- If you are a member of the Herbert Wertheim College of Meidcine (HWCOM) it is free for your office workstation or FIU-issued laptop. If you wish get EndNote installed on your computer, contact the HWCOM IT department.
- Personal copies are only $20. FIU affiliates (students, faculty, and staff) can buy a personal copy from PantherTech for only $20 (FIU gets it for you at a fraction of the price).
- Create a corresponding online account on http://myendnoteweb.com to (a) sync your computer's library to the cloud so you can view your articles from anywhere, (b) back-up your library, and (c) share your library with collaborators. This online account is the same as the free, EndNote Basic account.